Description of the Programme
The Vall d’Hebron Institute of Oncology (VHIO) launches the 1st Summer Internship Programme to provide undergraduate students the opportunity to conduct summer research at the VHIO. The goal of the programme is to attract the interest in research of students who are pursuing their BSc degree in Life Sciences or related subjects and accompany them in discovering their scientific vocation.
Fellows will engage in approximately eight weeks of basic research under the supervision and mentorship of VHIO Group Leaders. In addition, students are encouraged to attend the seminars and lectures which occur almost every week at the institute.
A maximum of 6 internship positions will be awarded in 2022.
- To be an undergraduate student in Life Sciences or related subjects (e.g. Bioinformatics, Biomedicine, Medicine, Biochemistry, Chemistry) with an excellent academic record;
- To have two full years (4 semesters) of undergraduate course work completed by the time the internship commences. Master students are not eligible;
- Candidates may not have received an undergraduate degree at the time of the internship (Summer 2022);
- To have a high level of English;
- To have availability to do a student placement/internship agreement through your university.
Positions will be awarded on a competitive basis taking into consideration the student’s academic records and the motivation & reference letter(s).
The summer training will consist of a minimum of 200 working hours (25 hours/week), distributed over a period of 2 months within July and September 2022.
The intensive nature of the programme requires a high level of commitment from the participant.
Applications for the VHIO Summer Internship Programme are accepted exclusively online through our online application system APPLY HERE.
The application will include the following information:
- The registration form duly completed in English;
- Your most recent academic transcript, which should include the title of the courses you have completed thus far and the grades you received;
- You should indicate up to two research groups in which you would like to work, in order of preference. Moreover, if you are interested in a particular research group, you should make reference to it in the motivation letter;
- Motivation letter: description of your interests in life sciences research, what you hope to gain through your participation in the VHIO Summer Internship Programme, your vision of what the summer internship will benefit you on a personal and academic level, and the reasons behind your choice;
- You will be asked to provide at least one reference from university lecturers or scientists who are familiar with the applicant’s academic work. These will be provided directly by referees via the online application form.
You will only be able to submit the application once all requested fields and documents are included. All the information must be submitted by the application deadline: 15th May, 2022.
- All selected candidates will receive a fellowship of 400€/month
- Barcelona public transport ticket for two months (Zone1).
- Candidates must provide their own health and accident insurance in case it is not provided by their university.
- Candidates are responsible for their own housing/accommodation.
Participation in the Summer Internship Programme does not imply any contractual relationship between the beneficiary and the VHIO. If the student, for any reason, voluntarily withdraws or interrupts the programme, any unduly received payments must be returned.
After the deadline, submitted applications will be checked for eligibility by the VHIO Graduates Office Coordinator and those proposals that do not meet the criteria will not undergo evaluation and will be rejected:
- Selection: The pre-selection will be based on the candidate's CV, research interests and motivation and the adequacy of the CV to his/her lab of preference. Priority would be given to candidates who do not have benefited from a similar internship before. Complete applications will be reviewed within a week after the call deadline;
- Oral interviews: Eventually candidates may be required to participate in an interview with the Graduates Office Coordinator;
- Notification to candidates: Internships will be assigned to the successful candidates short after the interview period. Successful candidates would be expected to start the Internship no later than the 1st August 2022.
End of the Internship
One week after termination of the Internship fellows would be required to provide the VHIO Academy with a final scientific report (scientific progress report and personal experience).
For this call, the VHIO Research Groups that have expressed interest in hosting a student are:
- Chromatin Dynamics in Cancer Group - Tian TIAN, M.D. Ph.D
- Experimental Hematology Group - Marta CRESPO, PhD
- Experimental Therapeutics Group - Violeta SERRA, PhD
- Gene Expression and Cancer Laboratory - Joan SEOANE, PhD
- Growth Factors Laboratory - Joaquín ARRIBAS, PhD
- Radiomics Group - Raquel PÉREZ M.D. Ph.D
- Stem Cells and Cancer Group - Hector G. PALMER, PhD
- Tumor Immunology and Immunotherapy Laboratory - Alena GROS, PhD
Call calendar 2022
- Call opening: 11 April, 2022
- Call deadline: May 15, 2022
- Eligibility check: 16– 18 May, 2022
- Oral interviews (if organized): 19-20 May, 2022
- Notification to candidates: 25th May, 2022
Should you have queries, please contact the VHIO Graduates Office Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org before submitting your application by indicating the reference “Summer Internship Programme”.